Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Valentine's Day Wreath

I started making wreaths like this about 6 or 7 years ago (maybe longer, not sure) and even though I would make them in different colors for any time of year, they became my go-to Valentine's Day item to make.

They are very easy really, they take more time than anything. I finished mine in an afternoon.

All you need to make this wreath is:
- a styrofoam wreath
- some cardboard to re-enforce the back
- glue (I used Aleene's Original Tacky Glue)
- 2 yards of felt in the color of your choice (I always buy extra felt just in case)
- a pencil, chopstick, or something to puncture the styrofoam with (I used the end of a small paintbrush).
- a little cup
- ribbon to hang the wreath

I start by tracing along the outside and inside of the wreath on the cardboard, and then cut it out. You can trim as necessary. The cardboard will be covered, so it really isn't a big deal if it's a little crooked.

Add some glue all around the cardboad.

And stick it to what will be the back of the styrofoam wreath.

While that dries, cut the felt into 4x4 inch squares.

Now you can begin to add the felt to the styrofoam. Pour some glue into a cup. Take your pencil or stick instrument of choice. I used a small paintbrush end, and place it in the middle of a square of felt.

Dip the felt into the glue.

Then stab (sorry, couldn't think of a better word) that end into the styrofoam wreath.

Repeat the process all around the wreath, making sure to place the felt close enough to one another that they create a sort of ruffled look.



Once you finish, let it dry. I let mine dry for 24 hours, just to make sure it rests enough. Then I used some red ribbon and just wrapped it around the entire wreath and hung it up.


Hope you get to try this out. It's a lot of fun to have as decor... if I do say so myself.

Until next time.

XO
-K

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

Seriously Kristen, I can't believe this is such a simple tutorial. It looks super fancy and expensive! Thanks so so much for sharing the instructions. I will hopefully be able to pop by the craft store soon to make something similar for myself!

a fanciful tiwst said...

Now that was an AWESOME tutorial! I want one, I want one!!

I have to link to his, I love when you make these. Your tut is so easy to follow and pretty too!

Your v-day display rocks!

Loooove, sis

Angela said...

Totally adorable! I love it!

A Forest Frolic said...

It's adorable, I love Valentine's day! I like making wreaths too, but have never tried this technique. Thanks for the tutorial. Over from Vanessa's world, tee hee.

Jamie :)

Prudence Puddleduck said...

Amazing indeed, thank you for this, beautifully done. Two super, creative souls, I am very happy to have discovered you both ♥Debi

Renee said...

So cute. I have to try this

compostgirl said...

This looks wonderful! What a talented family you are. I'm still not over your silver skull ring!

Jennifer said...

Hello again! Just popping in to say you won a blog award on my blog!

Milady Leela said...

So adorable......found it on your sisters blog.

TheBlakkDuchess said...

This is just wondeful! I love making things to hang on my door for every holiday. This will be up for V-day for sure! =D

XOXO